Mel Gibson's former partner to help Chernobyl kids
MOSCOW (AP) - April 19, 2010 -- The Russian-born singer who split from Mel Gibson earlier this month says she will play a charity concert in Moscow to aid victims of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster.
Oksana Grigorieva said Monday the concert will be for affluent Russians and the proceeds will pay for vital surgery for children born in the area affected by the radioactivity.
Grigorieva told journalists she had already funded operations for 50 children with heart conditions and leukemia in Ukraine, Belarus and Russia.
Grigorieva and Gibson split earlier this month after a three-year romance. She said they had agreed to raise their baby daughter Lucia together.
The radiation left after the meltdown at the Chernobyl plant still affects thousands of children born in the area.
mel gibson, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 30 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 56 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 21 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue 58 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 29 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
48 min ago
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
30 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
26 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City...
58 min ago