Mel Gibson's former partner to help Chernobyl kids
MOSCOW (AP) - April 19, 2010 -- The Russian-born singer who split from Mel Gibson earlier this month says she will play a charity concert in Moscow to aid victims of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster.
Oksana Grigorieva said Monday the concert will be for affluent Russians and the proceeds will pay for vital surgery for children born in the area affected by the radioactivity.
Grigorieva told journalists she had already funded operations for 50 children with heart conditions and leukemia in Ukraine, Belarus and Russia.
Grigorieva and Gibson split earlier this month after a three-year romance. She said they had agreed to raise their baby daughter Lucia together.
The radiation left after the meltdown at the Chernobyl plant still affects thousands of children born in the area.
mel gibson, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Snow Arriving 33 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- East Oak Lane apartment fire under control
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow Arriving
33 min ago