White House adviser spills secret: Obama loves pie
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) - April 24, 2010 -- Presidents have had their indulgences - Ronald Reagan loved jellybeans and Bill Clinton binged at McDonald's. What's President Barack Obama's weak spot?
Obama's senior adviser, David Axelrod, told Jay Leno Friday that the president was forced to "separate" from the White House pastry chef to break his bad eating habits.
"One of the things that happened when he came to the White House is they have a very great pastry chef. It became a big problem," Axelrod confided on "The Tonight Show."
The president, he said, "has a weakness for pie."
The chunky-built Axelrod might just be needling his boss - Obama lectures him about diet, exercise and his "beer gut."
The pie problem didn't come up earlier this year when the 48-year-old president was declared in excellent health by his doctors. An avid basketball player and golfer, it was said he eats modest portions.
Axelrod had a different story: He says the president loves cheeseburgers and pie, hardly health food.
The news wouldn't be welcomed by first lady Michelle Obama, who's on a campaign against childhood obesity.
"I hope the first lady isn't watching," Axelrod said.
president barack obama, jay leno, california, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 1 min ago
- Milder Monday 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 1 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
34 min ago