Ex-producer faces jail in NYC for Letterman plot
NEW YORK (AP) - May 4, 2010 -- A former CBS television producer who admitted trying to shake down David Letterman over the late-night comic's office affairs is bracing for time behind bars.
Robert "Joe" Halderman was set to be sentenced Tuesday to a six-month jail term, as planned when he pleaded guilty in March to attempted grand larceny. His plea deal also calls for 1,000 hours of community service.
Halderman admitted trying to extort $2 million from the "Late Show" host last fall by threatening to ruin his reputation. Authorities say Halderman buttressed the threat with information he'd culled from the diary of a former girlfriend who worked for Letterman.
The scheme prompted Letterman to disclose on air he'd had sex with women on his staff.
Viewers have stuck with Letterman. But he says the scandal has taken a personal toll.
david letterman, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 47 min ago
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
48 min ago