Barbara Walters to have heart valve surgery
NEW YORK - May 10, 2010 -- Barbara Walters said she will have surgery later this week to replace a faulty heart valve and take the summer off from "The View" to recuperate.
The television legend made the announcement on the air Monday. She said she's known about her condition for a while, and decided with her doctors that this is the best time to have the surgery.
"Since the summer is coming up," she said, "I can take a nice vacation."
Walters, 80, is one of the best-known personalities in television news. She began on the "Today" show, was the first woman to anchor a network evening news program, then was one of the toughest competitors in the fierce game of landing sought-after interviews.
At a time others would be slowing down, she created "The View" in 1997, and the daily talk show with a woman's round-table is a staple on daytime TV.
She said her condition would be a surprise to many friends. "But I thought it best not to talk about it too far in advance."
Walters said she had not felt any symptoms from the narrowing of the heart valve, which can worsen and restrict the flow of blood to the heart.
Whoopi Goldberg, her co-host on ABC's "The View," asked Walters if she is scared.
"Look, nobody wants to have this kind of surgery," Walters said, but added that it has become more commonplace and done safely.
barbara walters, the view, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies 27 min ago
- Record Warmth! 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 34 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
34 min ago
- Record Warmth!
22 min ago