Cannes directors sign petition supporting Polanski
CANNES, France - May 13, 2010 -- Top directors with films at the Cannes Film Festival have signed a petition in support of director Roman Polanski, who is under house arrest in Switzerland.
Signatories of the petition include French New Wave director Jean-Luc Godard, French actor-director Mathieu Amalric and Cannes best director laureate Bernard Tavernier.
The petition is posted on a Web site overseen by French philosopher Bernard-Henri Levy.
Polanski is under house arrest in Geneva in a 33-year-old sex case.
He pleaded guilty in 1978 to unlawful sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl. But after a judge said he would renege on the plea bargain, Polanski fled to his native France. He has been a fugitive since then.
france, roman polanski, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 50 min ago
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 45 min ago
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape 54 min ago
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Attack in Center City caught on camera 38 min ago
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam 44 min ago
- Burglary suspect nabbed by quick-thinking neighbor
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
50 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up...
54 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
38 min ago