Cannes directors sign petition supporting Polanski
CANNES, France - May 13, 2010 -- Top directors with films at the Cannes Film Festival have signed a petition in support of director Roman Polanski, who is under house arrest in Switzerland.
Signatories of the petition include French New Wave director Jean-Luc Godard, French actor-director Mathieu Amalric and Cannes best director laureate Bernard Tavernier.
The petition is posted on a Web site overseen by French philosopher Bernard-Henri Levy.
Polanski is under house arrest in Geneva in a 33-year-old sex case.
He pleaded guilty in 1978 to unlawful sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl. But after a judge said he would renege on the plea bargain, Polanski fled to his native France. He has been a fugitive since then.
france, roman polanski, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 18 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 17 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 59 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases