Wal-Mart still selling Miley Cyrus cadmium jewelry
LOS ANGELES (AP) -May 19, 2010 -- Jewelry branded by Miley Cyrus and sold exclusively at Walmarts nationwide contain high levels of the toxic metal cadmium, an Associated Press investigation shows.
The world's largest retailer learned in February that the items are tainted, but has continued selling them.
The AP also found that a separate line of jewelry charms being sold at Wal-Mart also had high cadmium levels.
Long-term exposure to cadmium can lead to bone softening and kidney failure.
Representatives for both Wal-Mart and Miley Cyrus have not responded to repeated requests for comment.
Last month, Wal-Mart revealed its suppliers now have to prove that children's jewelry and other kids' products have little cadmium. But that policy didn't apply to items already on store shelves.
miley cyrus, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 59 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 51 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 55 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 44 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
46 min ago