Wal-Mart still selling Miley Cyrus cadmium jewelry
LOS ANGELES (AP) -May 19, 2010 -- Jewelry branded by Miley Cyrus and sold exclusively at Walmarts nationwide contain high levels of the toxic metal cadmium, an Associated Press investigation shows.
The world's largest retailer learned in February that the items are tainted, but has continued selling them.
The AP also found that a separate line of jewelry charms being sold at Wal-Mart also had high cadmium levels.
Long-term exposure to cadmium can lead to bone softening and kidney failure.
Representatives for both Wal-Mart and Miley Cyrus have not responded to repeated requests for comment.
Last month, Wal-Mart revealed its suppliers now have to prove that children's jewelry and other kids' products have little cadmium. But that policy didn't apply to items already on store shelves.
miley cyrus, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 6 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep 23 min ago
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash