Bret Michaels hospitalized after `warning stroke'
LOS ANGELES (AP) - May 20, 2010 -- Bret Michaels is back in the hospital.
The rocker and reality TV star suffered what doctors call a "warning stroke" and has been diagnosed with a patent forum ovale, or hole in the heart, according to a report Thursday on his website. Michaels' publicist, Joann Mignano, confirmed the report.
Michaels was hospitalized after experiencing numbness on the left side of his body, particularly in his face and hands.
Doctors said the condition is operable and treatable and likely unrelated to the brain hemorrhage the 47-year-old suffered last month.
Michaels' neurosurgeon said that while the Poison frontman has a "fantastic attitude" about making a full recovery, "Bret's brain and body are not quite 100 percent yet, especially with the hole found in his heart."
Additional tests were being conducted to determine the best course of treatment. Doctors said Michaels is currently being treated with a daily injection of a blood thinner to reduce the risk of clots.
His website said Michaels was "up, walking, talking, continuing his daily rehab and very happy to be alive."
"He has made it clear he is sick and tired of being in the hospital and is ready to rock again," the site says.
Michaels was expected to appear at Sunday's finale of Donald Trump's "The Celebrity Apprentice" in New York. NBC said in a statement that the network is "cautiously optimistic" that Michaels can attend the live season finale.
"Ultimately, it's up to Bret and his doctors if he should attend," the statement said.
In the episode, Trump's boardroom revelation of the winner will air live. The rest of the show was taped last year, including the final challenge segment.
Bret Michaels, http://www.bretmichaels.com ---
AP Television Writer Lynn Elber contributed to this report.
los angeles, california, bret michaels, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Ocean County forest fire fully contained
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of New Jersey forest fires
- House gutted in South Philadelphia blaze 30 min ago
- Warning about dating apps after violent crimes
- Eye doctor, daughter post bail after pot bust
- Wedding crashers apologize to bride
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- 1 dead after motorcycle, vehicle collide in Wilmington
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- Clouds increase today, showers this evening
2 min ago