A different tune will kick off the Belmont Stakes
NEW YORK (AP) - June 3, 2010 -- Start spreading the news: Sinatra's out at the Belmont Stakes.
The New York Racing Association says Frank Sinatra's classic version of "New York, New York" is being replaced by "Empire State of Mind" as the music heard when the horses step onto the track for the $1 million Belmont on Saturday.
The change is being made because Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind" has become a "quintessential 21st century theme song for New York City," says NYRA marketing director Neema Ghazi.
"New York, New York" replaced "Sidewalks of New York" in 1997.
Alicia Keys' version of "Empire State of Mind" is to be performed by teenage recording artist Jasmine Villegas.
The lyrics include, "I'm the new Sinatra, and since I made it here I can make it anywhere."
alicia keys, new york, horse racing, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Winter Warm Up 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 4 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 27 min ago
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco 15 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 28 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Winter Warm Up
33 min ago
- Schools, daycares introduce yoga for kids
42 min ago