Susan Boyle to perform for pope during UK tour
LONDON (AP) - June 10, 2010 -- The Roman Catholic Church in Scotland says singing sensation Susan Boyle will likely perform for Pope Benedict XVI on his tour of Britain later this year.
A spokesman said Thursday that negotiations are still taking place, but Boyle is expected to sing at an open-air papal Mass in Glasgow's Bellahouston Park on Sept. 16.
Benedict's four-day trip will be the first papal visit to Britain since Pope John Paul II in 1982.
His itinerary also includes an address in Parliament and the beatification of 19th-century Catholic convert Cardinal John Henry Newman.
Forty nine-year-old Boyle became an overnight sensation after her appearance last year on a TV talent show was viewed millions of times on the Internet. Her debut album became a global best-seller.
susan boyle, pope, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man