Susan Boyle to perform for pope during UK tour
LONDON (AP) - June 10, 2010 -- The Roman Catholic Church in Scotland says singing sensation Susan Boyle will likely perform for Pope Benedict XVI on his tour of Britain later this year.
A spokesman said Thursday that negotiations are still taking place, but Boyle is expected to sing at an open-air papal Mass in Glasgow's Bellahouston Park on Sept. 16.
Benedict's four-day trip will be the first papal visit to Britain since Pope John Paul II in 1982.
His itinerary also includes an address in Parliament and the beatification of 19th-century Catholic convert Cardinal John Henry Newman.
Forty nine-year-old Boyle became an overnight sensation after her appearance last year on a TV talent show was viewed millions of times on the Internet. Her debut album became a global best-seller.
susan boyle, pope, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Several cars vandalized in South Philadelphia 13 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish