Jolie visits refugees in Ecuador
QUITO, Ecuador (AP) - June 18, 2010 -- Angelina Jolie has braved a journey on rutted jungle roads to a village on Ecuador's border with Colombia to highlight the abuses suffered by women and children refugees.
The actress and U.N. human rights goodwill ambassador returned for the first time in eight years to a turbulent region where thousands of Colombian refugees live.
She ended her two-day visit Friday wotj a meeting in Shushufindi with President Rafael Correa and other senior government officials.
On Thursday, Jolie was in the isolated border hamlet of Barranca Bermeja. The U.N. says one of the women she met had lost two children in Colombia's conflict.
More than 50,000 Colombian refugees are registered in Ecuador though unofficial estimates put the number at more than 170,000.
angeline jolie, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 38 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 22 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 42 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 42 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 42 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
38 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
42 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
42 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos