2nd mistrial declared in McConaughey surf battle
MALIBU, Calif. (AP) - June 19, 2010 -- A judge has declared a mistrial for a second time in a misdemeanor battery case against two surfers accused of attacking a photographer who tried to photograph actor Matthew McConaughey on a Malibu beach.
Jurors deadlocked Friday in the case against Skylar Peak and Philip Hildebrand.
Malibu Superior Court Judge Lawrence Mira ordered both sides to return to court July 2 when the prosecution is expected to announce whether it plans to retry the case.
The judge declared the first mistrial March 29 after being told that Peak's mother was seriously injured in a car crash.
The photographer told authorities he was attacked and his camera thrown in the ocean when he tried to take photos of the "Fool's Gold" and "Failure to Launch" star.
matthew mcconaughey, california, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 10 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 56 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
10 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
9 min ago