2nd mistrial declared in McConaughey surf battle
MALIBU, Calif. (AP) - June 19, 2010 -- A judge has declared a mistrial for a second time in a misdemeanor battery case against two surfers accused of attacking a photographer who tried to photograph actor Matthew McConaughey on a Malibu beach.
Jurors deadlocked Friday in the case against Skylar Peak and Philip Hildebrand.
Malibu Superior Court Judge Lawrence Mira ordered both sides to return to court July 2 when the prosecution is expected to announce whether it plans to retry the case.
The judge declared the first mistrial March 29 after being told that Peak's mother was seriously injured in a car crash.
The photographer told authorities he was attacked and his camera thrown in the ocean when he tried to take photos of the "Fool's Gold" and "Failure to Launch" star.
matthew mcconaughey, california, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 34 min ago
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 29 min ago
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape 38 min ago
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Attack in Center City caught on camera 22 min ago
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam 28 min ago
- Burglary suspect nabbed by quick-thinking neighbor
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth 58 min ago
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
34 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up...
38 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
22 min ago