NY vet dogs Mariah Carey over bills for pets' care
NEW YORK (AP) - June 23, 2010 -- Mariah Carey is in the doghouse with a veterinarian who says the pop superstar hasn't paid nearly $30,000 in bills for three of her prized pooches.
Veterinarian Cindy Bressler sued Carey on Wednesday in a Manhattan state court.
Bressler provided "extraordinary services" for the Jack Russell terriers - Cha-Cha, Dolomite and JJ - but the Grammy Award-winning singer paid only about $8,200 of the roughly $37,800 in charges, the lawsuit says. The bills cover a little more than a month of care.
Bressler's lawyer, Michael C. Posner, declined to elaborate on the dogs' treatment. Bressler, whose website notes that she makes house calls in New York City and the Hamptons and caters to "prominent New Yorkers and celebrity clients," didn't immediately respond to an e-mail message seeking comment.
Carey's spokeswoman didn't immediately respond to telephone and e-mail messages.
The pop diva has made her dogs something of characters in her multiplatinum-selling career, including in some comic video sketches made as part of an MTV.com promotion and posted on YouTube. In one, she and JJ compare the fit of their jeans: "I told you those `fat-free' dog treats weren't fat-free," she scolds.
She also regularly chronicles her dogs' doings on her Twitter feed, from Cha-Cha urinating on her dressing room floor and jumping on her last September to Dolomite stealing her underwear out of a suitcase while she was vacationing in March.
Known for R&B-inflected singles such as "Vision of Love" and "Hero," Carey, 40, has sold more than 50 million albums during her 20-year career. Her 18 No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 chart put her ahead of every other artist except the Beatles.
Her "The Emancipation of Mimi" was the best-selling album of 2005, selling 5 million copies. Her most recent album, "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel," was released last year.
She also has appeared in movies, earning praise for her role in last year's "Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire."
She is married to actor and producer Nick Cannon, and they recently welcomed a new addition to their household: a puppy named Jackie Lambchops, born to Cha-Cha this month, according to Carey's Twitter feed.
mariah carey, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 36 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident 53 min ago
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 43 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery 20 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- 5.7-magnitude quake felt across northern California 20 min ago
- Emergency landing causes delays at Heathrow 7 min ago
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
36 min ago
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
53 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in...
20 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
43 min ago