Judge drops case over McConaughey surf scuffle
LOS ANGELES (AP) - July 2, 2010 -- A judge has dropped charges against two surfers accused of attacking a celebrity photographer shooting photos of Matthew McConaughey on a Malibu beach.
Los Angeles County district attorney's spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons says the charges were dismissed Friday after prosecutors decided against starting a third trial against the surfers. A jury deadlocked last month on the misdemeanor battery case against Skylar Peak and Philip Hildebrand.
Peak and Hildebrand were accused of confronting several paparazzi who showed up to shoot photos of the "Fool's Gold" star on a Malibu beach two years ago.
Peak's attorney, Harland Braun, said the case was poorly investigated and never should have been filed. He said paparazzi video of the fight had been manipulated to implicate the surfers.
matthew mcconaughey, los angeles, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ