Travolta thanks Fla. fans for demanding 'Grease'
OCALA, Fla. (AP) - July 2, 2010 -- John Travolta is thanking his adopted Florida hometown, Ocala, after residents waged an online campaign to bring a limited rerelease of his hit "Grease" to the area.
The 1978 classic is being shown in select theaters nationwide as the "Grease Sing-A-Long," with karaoke-style subtitles for the songs.
Ocala wasn't on the distribution list. So residents swamped an online poll that allowed the city with the most voting fans to get the film. Ocala topped the poll by hundreds of votes.
Travolta released a statement through JTP Films thanking residents and promising to buy free snacks.
"Wish I could be there with you," he said.
Travolta and wife Kelly Preston bought an $8 million home in Ocala in 2003 with a landing strip so Travolta, an avid pilot, can fly.
john travolta, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing 57 min ago
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage 20 min ago
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ