Shakira to headline World Cup closing ceremony
JOHANNESBURG (AP) - July 7, 2010 -- World Cup organizers promise a high-tech closing ceremony featuring pop star Shakira, compared to the more traditionally African ceremony which opened the tournament.
Organizing committee spokesman Jermaine Craig says Sunday's show at Soccer City will be "more youthful and a bit more technologically advanced" than the June 11 opening ceremony.
Craig says the nighttime event has "nice lighting effects and special effects planned."
The closing ceremony is scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m. local time, two hours before the final match kicks off.
Colombian star Shakira will perform the official tournament anthem "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)." Shakira also performed the song at a June 10 World Cup concert in Soweto.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete 2 min ago
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall 10 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Butkovitz an early winner as Pa. primary ballots are tallied 52 min ago
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Man critically wounded by gunfire in Wilmington
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly...
2 min ago