CNN fires Middle Eastern editor over tweet
NEW YORK (AP) - July 7, 2010 -- CNN is firing an editor for its Middle Eastern coverage after she tweeted admiration for a late Lebanese cleric considered an inspiration for the militant Hezbollah movement.
The network said Wednesday that editor Octavia Nasr's credibility in her job was compromised going forward.
In a Twitter posting over the weekend, Nasr said she was sad to hear of Sayyed Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah's death. She called him "one of Hezbollah's giants I respect a lot."
Nasr later said in a blog that she had been referring to Fadlallah's attitude toward women's rights, considered more liberal than other Muslim clerics. She said the Twitter posting was an error of judgment because it conveyed full support of Fadlallah.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 9 min ago
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 5 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
9 min ago