CNN fires Middle Eastern editor over tweet
NEW YORK (AP) - July 7, 2010 -- CNN is firing an editor for its Middle Eastern coverage after she tweeted admiration for a late Lebanese cleric considered an inspiration for the militant Hezbollah movement.
The network said Wednesday that editor Octavia Nasr's credibility in her job was compromised going forward.
In a Twitter posting over the weekend, Nasr said she was sad to hear of Sayyed Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah's death. She called him "one of Hezbollah's giants I respect a lot."
Nasr later said in a blog that she had been referring to Fadlallah's attitude toward women's rights, considered more liberal than other Muslim clerics. She said the Twitter posting was an error of judgment because it conveyed full support of Fadlallah.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 6 min ago
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 14 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- SUV crashes into gas pump, bursts into flames
26 min ago