Ringo celebrates birthday with 'Peace' salute
NEW YORK (AP) -July 7, 2010 -- With a little help from his friends, Ringo Starr celebrated his 70th birthday in New York with a global "Peace and Love" moment.
Starr led the salute Wednesday in Times Square to throngs of spectators looking to catch a glimpse of the legendary Beatle. He told the crowd that being in New York was a "magical moment in 1964, and it's still a magical moment."
Earlier, Starr was honored at the Hard Rock Cafe with a cake and a chorus of "Happy Birthday." He waited patiently for staff to bring a cake knife so he could cut his own cake, as is tradition in Liverpool.
Starr wants people from every part of the globe to say "Peace and Love" at noon everyday by word, e-mail or any form of communication.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business 26 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry 46 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Dead body found during Easter egg hunt 21 min ago
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
26 min ago
- Dead body found during Easter egg hunt
21 min ago