Ringo celebrates birthday with 'Peace' salute
NEW YORK (AP) -July 7, 2010 -- With a little help from his friends, Ringo Starr celebrated his 70th birthday in New York with a global "Peace and Love" moment.
Starr led the salute Wednesday in Times Square to throngs of spectators looking to catch a glimpse of the legendary Beatle. He told the crowd that being in New York was a "magical moment in 1964, and it's still a magical moment."
Earlier, Starr was honored at the Hard Rock Cafe with a cake and a chorus of "Happy Birthday." He waited patiently for staff to bring a cake knife so he could cut his own cake, as is tradition in Liverpool.
Starr wants people from every part of the globe to say "Peace and Love" at noon everyday by word, e-mail or any form of communication.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 31 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 50 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash 47 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
8 min ago