Biden tells Leno US did fine in Russian spy swap
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) - July 10, 2010 -- Vice President Joe Biden had to convince a skeptical Jay Leno on Friday that the United States didn't get a raw deal from Russia in the biggest spy swap since the Cold War.
Leno asked Biden during a taping of "The Tonight Show" why the U.S. was sending 10 accused spies back to Russia while getting only four in return.
"That doesn't seem fair," Leno said.
"We got back four really good ones," Biden reassured Leno. "And the ten, they've been here a long time, but they hadn't done much."
Leno then showed a sultry photo of alleged Russian agent Anna Chapman and asked: "Are our spies this hot?"
Biden's reply, in a mock-serious tone: "Let me be clear. It was not my idea to send her back."
The vice president also said he had one more suggestion for the deal that was ignored.
"I thought they'd take Rush Limbaugh," he said.
The spy exchange took place earlier Friday on an airport tarmac in Vienna.
Biden opened the show in a comedy bit with Leno. It was his first appearance since taking office in January 2009.
Before becoming vice president, Biden had appeared on "Tonight" several times.
President Barack Obama, first lady Michelle Obama and White House senior adviser David Axelrod also have made appearances on the late-night show.
On Friday, Leno jabbed Biden for his tendency to make very public gaffes, pointing out an open-microphone expletive Biden uttered when Obama signed health care legislation in April.
Biden said he warned Obama before taking the job.
"I told the president two things when he asked me to do the job," Biden said. "I said, 'Just two conditions, Mr. President. I'm not going to wear any funny hats, and I'm not changing my brand.' And I kept my promise."
Biden went on to demonstrate that speaking style when Leno asked him who would win Sunday's World Cup final.
"I've got the Netherlands, but what the hell do I know?" he said. "I thought LeBron was going to stay."
jay leno, vice president joe biden, california, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 4 min ago
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos