Letterman tosses off mild Bristol Palin jokes
NEW YORK (AP) - July 15, 2010 -- David Letterman finds the Bristol Palin-Levi Johnston engagement announcement irresistible as monologue fodder.
But the late-night host, who ran afoul of the Palin family last year with a misfired joke, took it relatively easy on the young couple on Wednesday's "Late Show."
Letterman joked that Johnston will arrive for the wedding tied to "Sarah Palin's pickup." He also wisecracked that Bristol Palin made the announcement on an "hour-long ESPN special," a reference to the channel's show on LeBron James.
Letterman's final Palin joke poked fun at himself. Last year, he apologized to the Palins for a ribald joke involving one of their daughters. On Wednesday, the CBS host noted that Johnston, who made comments critical of the Palins, has issued a "heartfelt apology" to them.
Letterman paused a couple of beats, then said: "That kind of rings a bell."
david letterman, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies