Letterman tosses off mild Bristol Palin jokes
NEW YORK (AP) - July 15, 2010 -- David Letterman finds the Bristol Palin-Levi Johnston engagement announcement irresistible as monologue fodder.
But the late-night host, who ran afoul of the Palin family last year with a misfired joke, took it relatively easy on the young couple on Wednesday's "Late Show."
Letterman joked that Johnston will arrive for the wedding tied to "Sarah Palin's pickup." He also wisecracked that Bristol Palin made the announcement on an "hour-long ESPN special," a reference to the channel's show on LeBron James.
Letterman's final Palin joke poked fun at himself. Last year, he apologized to the Palins for a ribald joke involving one of their daughters. On Wednesday, the CBS host noted that Johnston, who made comments critical of the Palins, has issued a "heartfelt apology" to them.
Letterman paused a couple of beats, then said: "That kind of rings a bell."
david letterman, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 29 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 34 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
29 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
40 min ago
- Milder Monday
32 min ago