Peas' 'I Gotta Feeling' hits 6M downloads
NEW YORK (AP) - July 30, 2010 -- The Black Eyed Peas have more proof of the ubiquity of "I Gotta Feeling."
The Black Eyed Peas' No. 1 hit has become the first song to reach the 6 million mark in digital downloads.
"We came out in '98 and our career, if you would look at it on chart, there's no dips in it," he said in a phone interview Thursday. "For our career to still be healthy and vibrant and doing things like 6 million downloads, it's pretty significant."
It's also significant, he said, in a time when illegal downloading is the norm.
"That means that they chose to support the group, support the art," he said. "God knows how many people listened to it online and didn't buy it, downloaded it for free and didn't think about it."
The upbeat song about good vibes was No. 1 for 14 weeks; will.i.am said the reason it was so successful was because it gave people hope in a downward time.
"It's a positive, feel-good song at the time where there's question marks and uncertainty. People want to be reminded that it's going to be all right," he said.
The song was one of the hits from the group's multiplatinum "The E.N.D.," which was released last year. Although it is still on the charts, will.i.am said a new album, "The Beginning," is almost finished and likely due at the end of the year.
"It symbolizes growth, new beginnings and starts, fresh new perspective," he said.
music, black eyed peas, fergie, will.i.am, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media 45 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 24 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013 50 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
45 min ago