George Wendt plays Santa on Broadway
NEW YORK (AP) - August 11, 2010 -- George Wendt returns to Broadway as Santa Claus in the holiday comedy "Elf."
The six-time Emmy nominee, who played Norm on "Cheers," is joined in the musical by Beth Leavel, who won a best actress Tony for "The Drowsy Chaperone," Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures announced Wednesday.
The show is based on the 2003 Will Ferrell movie about Buddy, a man who is raised at the North Pole as an elf. "Elf" features a book by Tony Award-winner Tom Meehan and Bob Martin, who starred in and wrote the book for the "The Drowsy Chaperone," and songs by Matthew Sklar and Chad Beguelin ("The Wedding Singer").
The role of Buddy has not yet been cast.
"Elf" opens Nov. 14 at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre for a holiday run through Jan. 2.
new york, broadway, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 55 min ago
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Obama mourns death of icon Nelson Mandela 56 min ago
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife 48 min ago
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
55 min ago
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi...
48 min ago