TUNED IN to Rosanne Cash
August 21, 2010 (WPVI) -- Our featured Tuned In artist this week is Rosanne Cash. Though coming from musical royalty as the daughter of the late great Johnny Cash, she has forged her own path as an accomplished singer songwriter and author. She has earned the loyalty and respect of many fans throughout the world with her wonderful music, writing, and triumph over adversity.We caught up with her at The Free Library of Philadelphia during a special appearance in support of her latest book entitled "Composed". She sat down with our producer, Dawn Heefner, and spoke candidly to us about her experience.
Please enjoy her biography
The eldest child of Johnny Cash and his first wife, Vivian Liberto, Rosanne Cash was born in Memphis, Tennessee on May 24, 1955. After her parents separated she and her three sisters grew up in California.
At 18 she joined The Johnny Cash Show, further absorbing his influence along with that of his legendary touring show partners Carl Perkins and the Carter Family. The Carter Family's June Carter later became Rosanne's stepmother when she married Cash in 1968. Rosanne went on to study drama at Nashville's Vanderbilt University and at the Lee Strasberg Institute in Los Angeles before focusing on her music. In the 30 years since she has released 12 albums including Right or Wrong, Seven Year Ache,Somewhere in the Stars, Rhythm and Romance, King's Record Shop, Interiors, The Wheel, 10 Song Demo, Rules of Travel, Black Cadillac, and most recently, The List. She has also recorded 11 No. 1 singles, blurring the genres of country, rock, roots and pop. In 1985 she won the Grammy Award for Best Country Vocal Performance, Female, for her hit "I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me," and has received nine other nominations.
Her highly personal yet universally appealing writing style is also manifest in her parallel prose career. Rosanne published a collection of short stories, Bodies of Water, in 1995, and a children's book, Penelope Jane: A Fairy's Tale, in 2000. Composed, her long-awaited memoir, was published in 2010.
Additionally, her essays and fiction have appeared in various collections and publications, including The New York Times, Rolling Stone, Time Magazine, The Oxford American and New York Magazine.
The mother of five children, Rosanne lives in New York City with her husband, producer and guitarist John Leventhal, and her youngest child.
You are now Tuned In to Rosanne Cash!
tuned in, entertainment
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 35 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 38 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 2 min ago
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession 36 min ago
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
35 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
38 min ago