Duke's portrait shows Britain's queen at breakfast
LONDON (AP) - September 4, 2010 -- Queen Elizabeth II is used to having her portrait painted - though rarely at breakfast, and by her husband.
An image of the British monarch at the breakfast table, painted by Prince Philip in 1965, is being made public as part of a book about royal portraiture.
"The Queen at Breakfast" shows Elizabeth seated at a table in a Windsor Castle dining room, reading a newspaper with a loaf of bread and jam jar in front of her.
The oil painting appears in the new book "The Royal Portrait: Image and Impact," which is published next week.
An image of the painting was released Saturday by the Royal Collection.
The 89-year-old Duke of Edinburgh, well known for his blunt-speaking and love of outdoor sports, is also an art collector and amateur painter.
queen elizabeth, london, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 48 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep 43 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 56 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown 59 min ago
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 47 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 49 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
33 min ago
- Art of Aging: Retirement opportunities
30 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
49 min ago