Wynton Marsalis-led NY jazz band to travel to Cuba
NEW YORK (AP) - September 10, 2010 -- New York City's Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra is traveling to Cuba next month for a series of concerts in Havana with bandleader Wynton Marsalis.
The trip will be the first for the jazz band. The ensemble will perform several concerts from Oct. 5 to 9.
Later in the month Jazz at Lincoln Center will produce the Afro-Cuban Jazz Celebration, featuring concerts in New York City.
Marsalis says he "can't wait" for the chance to play in Cuba.
Travel by Americans to Cuba is restricted. The trip was approved by U.S. authorities.
Funding for the visit was provided by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Ford Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation and two smaller foundations.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 29 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 8 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 8 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases