Biography paints French first lady as 'chameleon'
PARIS (AP) - September 14, 2010 -- The author of an unauthorized biography of French first lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy says her perfect image has distanced her from the French people.
Besma Lahouri, the author of "Carla: A Secret Life," told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday that "the French don't know their first lady, and her worries seem to them very far removed from their own." Lahouri's much-anticipated book is being released Wednesday.
The author also says an alleged rivalry with Michelle Obama has strained relations between the French and U.S. presidential couples.
The book comes at a time when conservative President Nicolas Sarkozy's popularity has plummeted, and he is being criticized for raising the retirement age and cracking down on Eastern European Gypsies.
carla bruni, france, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack 1 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced 25 min ago
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete 1 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally