John Lennon's NY killer also considered Liz Taylor
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - September 16, 2010 -- The man who fatally shot John Lennon outside his New York City apartment says he considered killing Johnny Carson and Elizabeth Taylor but the ex-Beatle was more accessible.
Mark David Chapman also says the bullets he used came from a former police officer friend.
Chapman told a New York parole board earlier this month he borrowed $5,000 from his wife's father to pay for his trip from Hawaii to shoot Lennon on Dec. 8, 1980.
The details are in a transcript of his latest hearing released Thursday.
Chapman was denied parole after the Sept. 7 hearing, his sixth since becoming eligible in 2000. He will be up again in 2012.
Chapman told the panel killing Lennon was "a horrible decision." He said he thought killing someone famous would make him somebody but instead it only made him a murderer.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Snow today, heavy at times 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 53 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq. 48 min ago
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton 57 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in Norristown
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
39 min ago
- David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
48 min ago
- Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
57 min ago