White goes wild as new chair of LA Zoo association
LOS ANGELES (AP) -September 23, 2010 -- Betty White's Hollywood renaissance now extends to the animal kingdom.
The 88-year-old actress has been named chairwoman of the Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association.
In the announcement posted Wednesday on the association's website, White says promoting animal well-being is the most important thing she does.
She has worked with the zoo for 46 years and was honored at June's Beastly Ball by the association, a nonprofit that raises money for the zoo and its causes.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa named her "Ambassador to the Animals of the City of Los Angeles" in 2006.
White has had a high-profile year that has included a buzzed-about hosting gig on "Saturday Night Live," the new TV Land series "Hot in Cleveland" and a lifetime achievement award from the Screen Actors' Guild.
betty white, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 6 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad