White goes wild as new chair of LA Zoo association
LOS ANGELES (AP) -September 23, 2010 -- Betty White's Hollywood renaissance now extends to the animal kingdom.
The 88-year-old actress has been named chairwoman of the Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association.
In the announcement posted Wednesday on the association's website, White says promoting animal well-being is the most important thing she does.
She has worked with the zoo for 46 years and was honored at June's Beastly Ball by the association, a nonprofit that raises money for the zoo and its causes.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa named her "Ambassador to the Animals of the City of Los Angeles" in 2006.
White has had a high-profile year that has included a buzzed-about hosting gig on "Saturday Night Live," the new TV Land series "Hot in Cleveland" and a lifetime achievement award from the Screen Actors' Guild.
betty white, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ