Portia de Rossi takes wife Ellen Degeneres' name
LOS ANGELES (AP) -September 23, 2010 -- Portia de Rossi has officially taken wife Ellen Degeneres' last name.
A Los Angeles Superior Court commissioner granted De Rossi's request to take the last name of her partner during a closed hearing Thursday. The television star will now legally be known as Portia Lee James DeGeneres.
The couple was married in August 2008. The 37-year-old Australian-born actress asked for the name change last month.
Neither woman attended the hearing. They married during the five-month window in which gay marriage was legal in California.
Portia DeGeneres is well-known for her roles on several television series, including "Ally McBeal," "Arrested Development" and "Better Off Ted."
ellen degeneres, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today 57 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text 10 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport