Rapper Beanie Sigel charged in Pa. with tax fraud
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - October 6, 2010 -- Rapper Beanie Sigel is facing criminal charges for alleged tax fraud.
Federal prosecutors in Philadelphia say the entertainer born Dwight Grant made $1.5 million from 2002 to 2004, but filed no tax returns.
Sigel has served time on drug and weapons charges, and for prescription drug use while on federal probation. But he has also led anti-violence rallies in his hometown and spoken to high school students about life choices.
Sigel's albums include "The Truth," "The B. Coming" and "The Solution."
The tax charges come in a federal information filed Tuesday. That typically indicates a defendant's cooperation. Sigel's lawyer did not immediately return a call for comment.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases