Reggae star Buju Banton free on bail in Florida
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - November 11, 2010 -- Jamaican reggae singer Buju Banton is out of jail in Florida to await his retrial on federal drug charges after a son of reggae legend Bob Marley posted his home as bond.
Banton was released Wednesday. He signed an extradition waiver, and he must wear an electronic monitoring device and pay a private security team to ensure that he does not flee the country. Stephen Marley used his South Florida home to bail Banton out.
Banton is accused of conspiring to buy cocaine from an undercover officer. He was held without bail after his arrest in December.
The singer stood trial in September, but jurors said they could not reach a verdict and the judge declared a mistrial.
Banton's attorney said he was thrilled Banton could regroup at his Miami-area home before his retrial, scheduled for February.
jamaica, florida, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
49 min ago