Reggae star Buju Banton free on bail in Florida
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - November 11, 2010 -- Jamaican reggae singer Buju Banton is out of jail in Florida to await his retrial on federal drug charges after a son of reggae legend Bob Marley posted his home as bond.
Banton was released Wednesday. He signed an extradition waiver, and he must wear an electronic monitoring device and pay a private security team to ensure that he does not flee the country. Stephen Marley used his South Florida home to bail Banton out.
Banton is accused of conspiring to buy cocaine from an undercover officer. He was held without bail after his arrest in December.
The singer stood trial in September, but jurors said they could not reach a verdict and the judge declared a mistrial.
Banton's attorney said he was thrilled Banton could regroup at his Miami-area home before his retrial, scheduled for February.
jamaica, florida, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly 9 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos