Reggae star Buju Banton free on bail in Florida
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - November 11, 2010 -- Jamaican reggae singer Buju Banton is out of jail in Florida to await his retrial on federal drug charges after a son of reggae legend Bob Marley posted his home as bond.
Banton was released Wednesday. He signed an extradition waiver, and he must wear an electronic monitoring device and pay a private security team to ensure that he does not flee the country. Stephen Marley used his South Florida home to bail Banton out.
Banton is accused of conspiring to buy cocaine from an undercover officer. He was held without bail after his arrest in December.
The singer stood trial in September, but jurors said they could not reach a verdict and the judge declared a mistrial.
Banton's attorney said he was thrilled Banton could regroup at his Miami-area home before his retrial, scheduled for February.
jamaica, florida, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95 21 min ago
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela
- Suspects sought in Glenside carjacking, abduction
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
21 min ago