German hackers allegedly steal pop music
BERLIN (AP) - December 3, 2010 -- Two German hackers allegedly stole pop songs from Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, Kesha and Kelly Clarkson, selling them online and forcing the advanced release of several singles, officials said Friday.
A 17-year-old student and a 23-year-old unemployed man allegedly used Trojan viruses to hack into the artists' computers for about 12 months before being discovered, Duisburg chief prosecutor Rolf Haferkamp told The Associated Press.
During that time, they earned more than euro10,000 ($13,240) in illegal sales of tracks acquired from the stars' computers.
The student, an amateur DJ known as "DJ Stolen," also allegedly downloaded a sexually compromising photo of one artist and used it to blackmail her. Haferkamp would not comment on which artist it was.
Haferkamp said the police were informed of the hacking after a fan of Kelly Clarkson alerted her management that unreleased songs of the singer were being sold online.
Unlike in the U.S., German prosecutors first launch formal investigations and then file criminal charges if they find enough evidence. Haferkamp said the investigation should be concluded by January and can lead to criminal charges. The alleged hackers are still living with their parents in western Germany.
Spokesmen for the artists were not immediately available for comment.
lady gaga, justin timberlake, kelly clarkson, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks 54 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 20 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 27 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags 50 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash 56 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
54 min ago