German hackers allegedly steal pop music
BERLIN (AP) - December 3, 2010 -- Two German hackers allegedly stole pop songs from Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, Kesha and Kelly Clarkson, selling them online and forcing the advanced release of several singles, officials said Friday.
A 17-year-old student and a 23-year-old unemployed man allegedly used Trojan viruses to hack into the artists' computers for about 12 months before being discovered, Duisburg chief prosecutor Rolf Haferkamp told The Associated Press.
During that time, they earned more than euro10,000 ($13,240) in illegal sales of tracks acquired from the stars' computers.
The student, an amateur DJ known as "DJ Stolen," also allegedly downloaded a sexually compromising photo of one artist and used it to blackmail her. Haferkamp would not comment on which artist it was.
Haferkamp said the police were informed of the hacking after a fan of Kelly Clarkson alerted her management that unreleased songs of the singer were being sold online.
Unlike in the U.S., German prosecutors first launch formal investigations and then file criminal charges if they find enough evidence. Haferkamp said the investigation should be concluded by January and can lead to criminal charges. The alleged hackers are still living with their parents in western Germany.
Spokesmen for the artists were not immediately available for comment.
lady gaga, justin timberlake, kelly clarkson, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet 34 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane 40 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act 18 min ago
- Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
40 min ago
- 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
59 min ago