ABC's Sawyer lands first interview with Giffords' husband
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - January 16, 2011 -- ABC's Diane Sawyer will air the first television interview with astronaut Mark Kelly, the husband of shooting victim Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.
The network said that Kelly spoke to Sawyer on Saturday at the hospital where Giffords continues to recover from being shot in the head on Jan. 8.
ABC said Sunday the interview will air in a prime-time special on Tuesday night and in various ABC News broadcasts, starting Tuesday with "Good Morning America."
Kelly was interviewed briefly off-camera last week by CNN's Sanjay Gupta.
In the prime-time special, titled "The Congresswoman and the Astronaut: An American Story of Love and Strength," Kelly talks about the moment he heard his wife was shot, the bedside vigil he has kept and how the support of the nation has affected them, the network said.
It's a big get for Sawyer, the "World News" anchor who has long been competitive in the race for major newsmaker interviews.
ABC was the only national TV news division not to falsely report Giffords had died in the hours after the shooting, although its website briefly did. Kelly called an ABC affiliate in Houston when those reports were being broadcast to say that his wife was still alive.
arizona, rep. gabrielle giffords, diane sawyer, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 30 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos