Tuned In to HighKick
PHILADELPHIA - February 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- Our featured Tuned In band this week is HighKick.
This Philadelphia area based group has made quite a splash on the local music scene. Their sound is a melodically pleasing mesh of genres.
We caught up with HighKick during a special performance at Brittingham's in Lafayette Hill.
Founding members of the band, Matt Miceli (Vocals/ Guitar), Kevin Mairs (Keyboards/ Guitar/ Vocals), Mike Iannece (Bass Guitar/ Vocals), and Jeff Hilferty (Drums) have been friends for many years, all crossing paths in the immediate suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. Each with their own unique musical interests and backgrounds, the band mates joined together to create HighKick.
With a vast diversity of musical influences spanning from classical to techno, HighKick has created their own blend of styles which incorporates a unique, honest approach to songwriting.
Working during the weeks and playing gigs on the weekend, Highkick has managed to infiltrate the underground music scene of West Philadelphia.
Now with their debut release of "Paints a House" a local buzz has surrounded the band. 93.3 WMMR's Jaxon referring to HighKicks song "Black Bear" said, "It makes me want to go out in the woods and drink whiskey...it's actually pretty catchy."
HighKick has acquired a substantial local following playing venues in the Philadelphia area such as The Note in West Chester, Pa., The M Room in Fishtown, The North Star Bar in Brewerytown, The Khyber in Old City, The World Cafe Live and many more.
The band drew a crowd of 200 plus to The Blockley Pourhouse in West Philadelphia for the release of their eight song debut album, Paints a House.
With the crowds growing and dozens of new songs written, the band is looking to expand their audience in every way.
From taking the act on the road to physical and digital distribution of the album, HighKick is working hard to get into the heads of as many listeners as possible.
You are now Tuned In to HighKick!More on the web-
tuned in, entertainment
- 911 calls from Newtown, CT shooting released 7 min ago
- Clouds, some sun, mild today 54 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 56 min ago
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Attack in Washington Square caught on camera
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender
- Toys for Tots: Woman on video was volunteer
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion