First Beatles scholar graduates in Liverpool
LONDON (AP) -January 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- A former Miss Canada finalist has become the first graduate of a Liverpool university's groundbreaking degree program based on analyzing the Beatles' music and their impact on Western culture.
Liverpool Hope University officials believe the master's program offers the first advanced degree based on the life and times of the Fab Four.
Mary-Lu Zahalan-Kennedy joined the program when it started in 2009 and graduated Wednesday. She is one of 12 full-time students of the program - "The Beatles, Popular Music and Society."
Zahalan-Kennedy, a singer and actress, said the course provided insight into the wide-ranging influence of the Beatles.
The course also deals with how the port city of Liverpool helped shape the group's identity.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 2 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more