First Beatles scholar graduates in Liverpool
LONDON (AP) -January 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- A former Miss Canada finalist has become the first graduate of a Liverpool university's groundbreaking degree program based on analyzing the Beatles' music and their impact on Western culture.
Liverpool Hope University officials believe the master's program offers the first advanced degree based on the life and times of the Fab Four.
Mary-Lu Zahalan-Kennedy joined the program when it started in 2009 and graduated Wednesday. She is one of 12 full-time students of the program - "The Beatles, Popular Music and Society."
Zahalan-Kennedy, a singer and actress, said the course provided insight into the wide-ranging influence of the Beatles.
The course also deals with how the port city of Liverpool helped shape the group's identity.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Steamy Situation 53 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 59 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 58 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- New push to revitalize West Philly's Lancaster Ave.