Jon Stewart to join 9/11 memorial board
NEW YORK (AP) - January 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- Jon Stewart is joining the board of the foundation building the Sept. 11 memorial in New York.
The comedian and activist was to be appointed to the National Sept. 11 Memorial & Museum board at a meeting Thursday afternoon.
The host of the Emmy-winning "The Daily Show" on Comedy Central recently used his show to champion a federal bill that provided billions to treat people who became ill after working in the ruins of the World Trade Center.
Joe Daniels, the foundation's president, says Stewart is an important public figure and a regular New Yorker who saw the world change on Sept. 11, 2001.
The memorial - twin reflecting pools set above the fallen towers' footprints - is set to open to the public by this Sept. 11.
jon stewart, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 7 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 22 min ago
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 20 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 12 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos