Colbert to auction his artfully doctored portrait
NEW YORK (AP) -February 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- Stephen Colbert is trying a new role: art dealer.
Comedy Central announced Friday that the host of "The Colbert Report" is putting one of his portraits up for auction. Colbert has repeatedly had himself painted in comically self-aggrandizing style. This one is referred to as "Portrait 5, Stephen(s)."
But it's potentially the most valuable: Artists Frank Stella, Shepard Fairey and Andrew Serrano each added their touch to the work in December.
It will be sold March 8 by auction house Phillips de Pury & Company, with proceeds going to DonorsChoose.org.
Another Colbert portrait was hung in Washington's National Portrait Gallery in 2008. Despite his conservative pundit's disregard for high culture, Colbert has increasingly embraced the art world. He recently claimed to be the elusive graffiti artist Banksy.
stephen colbert, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 14 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 33 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash 30 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally