Tuned In to Jesse Ruben
PHILADELPHIA - February 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Our featured Tuned In artist this week is Jesse Ruben.
Though he currently resides in New York City, this critically acclaimed singer songwriter will always call Philadelphia home.
Much of his appeal stems from a talent for writing music which is both melodically pleasing, and insightful at the same time. His writing earned him numerous award nominations at his school, the Berkley College of Music.
We recently caught up with him at the World Cafe Live. He took time to sit down with us before playing to a sold out show.
23-year-old, Philly-bred singer-songwriter Jesse Ruben freely confides that he's done a bit of "obsessing" over his second album, "The Ones That Matter".
Not that such anxiety is evident on the highly accomplished disc, the follow-up to Ruben's self-released 2008 debut, "Aiming for Honesty".
Adding full-band accompaniment to his lush, soulful pop-rock, Ruben also stretches impressively as a writer on "The Ones That Matter", achieving a near-novelistic sense of character and setting on finely hewn tracks like "A Lack of Armor," "Bleeker and Sixth," and "Unbreakable."
His relentless attention to detail pays off handsomely. He makes no apology for meticulously fine-tuning all aspects of his work and presentation.
"Every time you create something you have an opportunity to say something new, or at least something honest," he says. "I take that opportunity seriously."
Ruben's expansive and deeply compassionate point of view has resonated strongly with an ever-growing audience, whom the performer has cultivated with virtually nonstop touring and persistent online networking; as a result, he's sold some 5,000 copies of "Honesty" on his own.
To read more of Ruben's biography, follow the links below.
You are now Tuned In to Jesse Ruben!
tuned in, entertainment
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 48 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014