Jury selection set for Buju Banton's retrial
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - February 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Fresh off a Grammy win, Jamaican reggae star Buju Banton is set to stand trial again in federal court in Florida.
Jury selection will begin Monday in Tampa. Banton is accused of conspiring to buy cocaine from an undercover officer and faces up to life in prison.
The jury deadlocked in his first trial in September.
His 2010 album "Before the Dawn" won the Grammy award for best reggae album Sunday. He recorded the album in Jamaica before his December 2009 arrest.
In a statement Monday, Banton said winning the Grammy shows that his music transcends borders and "people are now paying attention to what I'm saying in-depth."
He said music is his life and an art form "that cannot be denied any living soul."
grammy awards, illegal drugs, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos