Jury selection set for Buju Banton's retrial
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - February 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Fresh off a Grammy win, Jamaican reggae star Buju Banton is set to stand trial again in federal court in Florida.
Jury selection will begin Monday in Tampa. Banton is accused of conspiring to buy cocaine from an undercover officer and faces up to life in prison.
The jury deadlocked in his first trial in September.
His 2010 album "Before the Dawn" won the Grammy award for best reggae album Sunday. He recorded the album in Jamaica before his December 2009 arrest.
In a statement Monday, Banton said winning the Grammy shows that his music transcends borders and "people are now paying attention to what I'm saying in-depth."
He said music is his life and an art form "that cannot be denied any living soul."
grammy awards, illegal drugs, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 2 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies 58 min ago
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire 45 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 15 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
2 min ago