Anna Nicole Smith subject of provocative new opera
LONDON (AP) -February 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- It's a rags-to-riches story complete with sex,drugs, vast wealth and family tragedy.
The latest production from Britain's Royal Opera is based on the short but sensational life of Playboy playmate turned tabloid superstar Anna Nicole Smith, who died aged 39 in 2007.
The company bills the opera as "a celebrity story of our times." But it has raised a few eyebrows with its warning that the show contains sex, drugs and "extreme language."
"Anna Nicole" has music by composer Mark-Anthony Turnage and libretto by Richard Thomas, who co-created "Jerry Springer: The Opera."
Dutch soprano Eva-Maria Westbroek plays Smith.
Only six performances are planned between Thursday and March 4 - and all are sold out.
anna nicole smith, music, london, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 1 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 14 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County 14 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop 57 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos