Anna Nicole Smith subject of provocative new opera
LONDON (AP) -February 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- It's a rags-to-riches story complete with sex,drugs, vast wealth and family tragedy.
The latest production from Britain's Royal Opera is based on the short but sensational life of Playboy playmate turned tabloid superstar Anna Nicole Smith, who died aged 39 in 2007.
The company bills the opera as "a celebrity story of our times." But it has raised a few eyebrows with its warning that the show contains sex, drugs and "extreme language."
"Anna Nicole" has music by composer Mark-Anthony Turnage and libretto by Richard Thomas, who co-created "Jerry Springer: The Opera."
Dutch soprano Eva-Maria Westbroek plays Smith.
Only six performances are planned between Thursday and March 4 - and all are sold out.
anna nicole smith, music, london, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens
- Kellie Pickler named new DWTS champ