Police probe death of baby born to Oprah student
JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA - February 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating whether to file charges after the death of a newborn baby born to a student at Oprah Winfrey's elite South African high school.
In a statement Monday, the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy said it was awaiting the outcome of the police investigation into the birth last week, and providing counseling for students in the wake of the latest controversy surrounding the school outside Johannesburg.
Soon after Winfrey's school opened in 2007, a dormitory supervisor was accused of trying to kiss and fondle students.
The supervisor was acquitted of sexual assault charges last year.
Winfrey has vowed to give bright young women opportunities in a society where they are handicapped by conservative traditions as well as the poor schools that are a legacy of apartheid.
oprah winfrey, south africa, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 41 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 2 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 8 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 26 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 17 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 26 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
18 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
2 min ago