Police probe death of baby born to Oprah student
JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA - February 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating whether to file charges after the death of a newborn baby born to a student at Oprah Winfrey's elite South African high school.
In a statement Monday, the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy said it was awaiting the outcome of the police investigation into the birth last week, and providing counseling for students in the wake of the latest controversy surrounding the school outside Johannesburg.
Soon after Winfrey's school opened in 2007, a dormitory supervisor was accused of trying to kiss and fondle students.
The supervisor was acquitted of sexual assault charges last year.
Winfrey has vowed to give bright young women opportunities in a society where they are handicapped by conservative traditions as well as the poor schools that are a legacy of apartheid.
oprah winfrey, south africa, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Camden teen reported missing
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 30 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding 48 min ago
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!