Daughter of Malcolm X held on $100K bail in NYC
NEW YORK (AP) - March 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- A daughter of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X has been extradited to New York City to face charges of identity theft and grand larceny.
Malikah (mah-LEE'-kah) Shabazz was held on $100,000 bail after a court appearance Wednesday night in Queens.
Shabazz waived extradition from North Carolina, where she was arrested last week on a warrant issued more than a year ago.
She is accused of defrauding the widow of one of her father's former bodyguards out of more than $55,000 in credit card bills.
The 45-year-old Shabazz was arrested Feb. 18 after investigators went to her home in western North Carolina on an unrelated matter. That's when authorities found out about the warrant.
Her lawyer says his client denies the charges. Her case has been adjourned to March 15.
new york city, identity theft, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 55 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
55 min ago
- Milder Monday
58 min ago