Carey 'embarrassed' over Gadhafi-linked concert
NEW YORK (AP) - March 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Mariah Carey says she wasn't aware that she was booked to perform a concert linked to Gadhafi's clan - and she's embarrassed about it.
Carey is among a handful of entertainers who were paid handsome fees to give exclusive private concerts. It was later revealed the people behind those concerts were the family of embattled Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.
In a statement, Carey says she was naive about the booking of the performance and feels "horrible and embarrassed." But she adds that performers must bear responsibility and be aware of whom they are performing for.
A representative for Carey says the singer is donating the proceeds of a new song she wrote for her upcoming album to organizations to raise awareness for human rights.
mariah carey, libya, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 14 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 15 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
15 min ago