Carey 'embarrassed' over Gadhafi-linked concert
NEW YORK (AP) - March 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Mariah Carey says she wasn't aware that she was booked to perform a concert linked to Gadhafi's clan - and she's embarrassed about it.
Carey is among a handful of entertainers who were paid handsome fees to give exclusive private concerts. It was later revealed the people behind those concerts were the family of embattled Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.
In a statement, Carey says she was naive about the booking of the performance and feels "horrible and embarrassed." But she adds that performers must bear responsibility and be aware of whom they are performing for.
A representative for Carey says the singer is donating the proceeds of a new song she wrote for her upcoming album to organizations to raise awareness for human rights.
mariah carey, libya, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?