Sentencing hearing set for singer Buju Banton
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - March 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- A sentencing hearing has been set for June 16 for Grammy-winning Jamaican reggae singer Buju Banton.
Banton faces up to 15 years in prison after he was convicted of conspiring to set up a cocaine deal in 2009.
A Tampa federal court jury last month found Buju Banton guilty of two drug charges and one weapons charge.
It was the singer's second trial. A previous jury deadlocked in September.
Banton's attorney, David Markus, has asked for the singer to be released from custody pending his appeal.
Markus also has filed a motion asking the court to acquit Banton or grant him a new trial.
Banton won a Grammy last month for best reggae album for his 2010 work entitled "Before the Dawn."
buju banton, sentencing, jamaica, florida, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting 16 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila. 6 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
16 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
6 min ago
- Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos