Source: Mel Gibson to plead in LA battery case
LOS ANGELES (AP) - March 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- A person familiar with a pending criminal case against Mel Gibson says the Academy Award winner will be charged with misdemeanor battery over a fight last year with his then-girlfriend and has reached a plea agreement with prosecutors.
The source with knowledge of the case is not authorized to speak publicly about the details and spoke Wednesday to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
The person says Gibson will be charged with battery over a January 2010 dispute with Oksana Grigorieva. Prosecutors have not yet announced a decision on whether to charge Grigorieva with extortion, which Gibson has been seeking.
The actor-director's attorney, Blair Berk, said Mel Gibson sought the plea agreement after prioritizing the interests of his children, including an infant daughter with Grigorieva.
The story was first reported by TMZ.
mel gibson, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 44 min ago
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 28 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli 9 min ago
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 47 min ago
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
28 min ago