Source: Mel Gibson to plead in LA battery case
LOS ANGELES (AP) - March 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- A person familiar with a pending criminal case against Mel Gibson says the Academy Award winner will be charged with misdemeanor battery over a fight last year with his then-girlfriend and has reached a plea agreement with prosecutors.
The source with knowledge of the case is not authorized to speak publicly about the details and spoke Wednesday to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
The person says Gibson will be charged with battery over a January 2010 dispute with Oksana Grigorieva. Prosecutors have not yet announced a decision on whether to charge Grigorieva with extortion, which Gibson has been seeking.
The actor-director's attorney, Blair Berk, said Mel Gibson sought the plea agreement after prioritizing the interests of his children, including an infant daughter with Grigorieva.
The story was first reported by TMZ.
mel gibson, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for missing 11-year-old boy 39 min ago
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 27 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
27 min ago