Aretha Franklin to celebrate 69th birthday in NYC
NEW YORK (AP) - March 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- After battling back from health problems, the Queen of Soul plans to celebrate her 69th birthday in a big way in New York City.
Aretha Franklin has scheduled a birthday bash Friday at a luxury hotel with performances and special guests. Her publicist, Tracey Jordan, said Franklin planned to go to the theater earlier in the evening to catch "Driving Miss Daisy" on Broadway.
The music legend underwent surgery late last year in her native Detroit for an undisclosed ailment. Since then, she's lost more than 80 pounds. Franklin has said the weight loss was because of a change in diet and exercise.
She's due to return to the stage in May, and also has a new album on the way.
aretha franklin, new york city, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 1 min ago
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish