Warhol's Elizabeth Taylor to sell at auction
NEW YORK (AP) -March 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- An Andy Warhol portrait of Elizabeth Taylor is heading to a New York City auction. It's estimated to bring $20 million.
The Wall Street Journal reports that "Liz (hash)5" is owned by hedge-fund manager Steven Cohen. The 1963 silkscreen will be sold at Phillips de Pury at its contemporary art sale on May 12.
The actress died on Wednesday at age 79.
The portrait shows the screen siren smiling and her eyelids covered in blue eye shadow. It comes from Warhol's 1960s series of pop culture icons like Jacqueline Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe.
The Journal says Cohen bought the portrait for an undisclosed sum from the estate of a major New York dealer. He declined to comment.
The current Warhol auction record is $71.7 million for "Green Car Crash."
elizabeth taylor, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Charges dropped against fmr. Montco GOP leader
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino
- Suspect sought in NE Phila. Wawa robbery
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Greyhound passengers stranded for hours in Del.
- Officer-involved accident in Ewing Township 43 min ago
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 24 min ago
- New uncertainty about missing Malaysian plane 38 min ago
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians
- Mick Jagger's girlfriend found dead in NYC
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade