Warhol's Elizabeth Taylor to sell at auction
NEW YORK (AP) -March 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- An Andy Warhol portrait of Elizabeth Taylor is heading to a New York City auction. It's estimated to bring $20 million.
The Wall Street Journal reports that "Liz (hash)5" is owned by hedge-fund manager Steven Cohen. The 1963 silkscreen will be sold at Phillips de Pury at its contemporary art sale on May 12.
The actress died on Wednesday at age 79.
The portrait shows the screen siren smiling and her eyelids covered in blue eye shadow. It comes from Warhol's 1960s series of pop culture icons like Jacqueline Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe.
The Journal says Cohen bought the portrait for an undisclosed sum from the estate of a major New York dealer. He declined to comment.
The current Warhol auction record is $71.7 million for "Green Car Crash."
elizabeth taylor, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees