Warhol's Elizabeth Taylor to sell at auction
NEW YORK (AP) -March 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- An Andy Warhol portrait of Elizabeth Taylor is heading to a New York City auction. It's estimated to bring $20 million.
The Wall Street Journal reports that "Liz (hash)5" is owned by hedge-fund manager Steven Cohen. The 1963 silkscreen will be sold at Phillips de Pury at its contemporary art sale on May 12.
The actress died on Wednesday at age 79.
The portrait shows the screen siren smiling and her eyelids covered in blue eye shadow. It comes from Warhol's 1960s series of pop culture icons like Jacqueline Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe.
The Journal says Cohen bought the portrait for an undisclosed sum from the estate of a major New York dealer. He declined to comment.
The current Warhol auction record is $71.7 million for "Green Car Crash."
elizabeth taylor, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J. 2 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos 47 min ago
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft 22 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Photos: Top Holiday Tech Gifts 2013!
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in...
47 min ago
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in...
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos