Warhol's Elizabeth Taylor to sell at auction
NEW YORK (AP) -March 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- An Andy Warhol portrait of Elizabeth Taylor is heading to a New York City auction. It's estimated to bring $20 million.
The Wall Street Journal reports that "Liz (hash)5" is owned by hedge-fund manager Steven Cohen. The 1963 silkscreen will be sold at Phillips de Pury at its contemporary art sale on May 12.
The actress died on Wednesday at age 79.
The portrait shows the screen siren smiling and her eyelids covered in blue eye shadow. It comes from Warhol's 1960s series of pop culture icons like Jacqueline Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe.
The Journal says Cohen bought the portrait for an undisclosed sum from the estate of a major New York dealer. He declined to comment.
The current Warhol auction record is $71.7 million for "Green Car Crash."
elizabeth taylor, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police