Longtime bachelor Patrick Kennedy, 43, is engaged
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - March 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- Patrick Kennedy, the 43-year-old former Rhode Island congressman and son of the late Sen. Edward Kennedy, is engaged to be married to a New Jersey middle school teacher.
Kennedy, a lifelong bachelor, got engaged Saturday in Rhode Island to Amy Petitgout, former aide Sean Richardson said Monday. No wedding date has been set.
Richardson said they met about a year and a half ago at an event in New Jersey.
Kennedy told The Associated Press last month that he was living in New Jersey with his girlfriend. In a written statement, he recalled the title of his father's book "True Compass" in speaking about his relationship with Petitgout.
"My father spoke about his true compass, guiding him through his journey of life. I have found mine with Amy," Kennedy said then. "She has helped me navigate the uncharted waters of life beyond politics and given me the reason to look forward to a personal life with family and friends."
Petitgout has a 3-year-old daughter, Harper, from a previous marriage.
"We feel so fortunate to have found each other," she said in a written statement. "Patrick is caring and values me, giving me friendship and love. He has become part of my family and loves my daughter as his own."
Kennedy, a Democrat, decided last year not to run for a ninth term representing Rhode Island in Congress. His father died in 2009 after representing Massachusetts in the Senate for nearly 47 years.
Patrick Kennedy has struggled with substance abuse and depression over the years and has sought treatment several times, including after a late-night 2006 car crash outside the Capitol. Friends have said that Kennedy's personal life often took a backseat to his career; he has never married.
In addition to his home in New Jersey, Kennedy maintains a house in Portsmouth, R.I. Since leaving Congress, he has been focusing on mental health advocacy and recently accepted a two-year visiting fellowship at Brown University's Institute for Brain Science.
rhode island, new jersey, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 3 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 19 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 24 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 30 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 48 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 39 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 48 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
19 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
24 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
40 min ago