NYC suit: Paris Hilton kept $60K in borrowed gems
NEW YORK (AP) - April 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- A break-in at Paris Hilton's Los Angeles home has led to a New York lawsuit over $60,000 in borrowed gems. A jeweler's insurer says the celebrity socialite simply held onto them after police gave them back to her.
Insurer Allianz Global sued Hilton on Wednesday. Her spokeswoman says only costume jewelry was recovered by police.
The Munich-based insurer says jeweler Damiani lent Hilton the gems in 2007. The lawsuit says the Damiani jewels were taken along with about $2 million worth of other jewels in the December 2008 burglary.
Police returned a Louis Vuitton bag full of jewelry to Hilton after making arrests in 2009. The suit says Hilton then ignored Allianz' requests to return the Damiani gems.
Five people still face charges in the break-in.
paris hilton, new york city, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Snow today, heavy at times
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 21 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76 46 min ago
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
- Video: Katherine Scott on snow in Delaware
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
46 min ago