NYC suit: Paris Hilton kept $60K in borrowed gems
NEW YORK (AP) - April 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- A break-in at Paris Hilton's Los Angeles home has led to a New York lawsuit over $60,000 in borrowed gems. A jeweler's insurer says the celebrity socialite simply held onto them after police gave them back to her.
Insurer Allianz Global sued Hilton on Wednesday. Her spokeswoman says only costume jewelry was recovered by police.
The Munich-based insurer says jeweler Damiani lent Hilton the gems in 2007. The lawsuit says the Damiani jewels were taken along with about $2 million worth of other jewels in the December 2008 burglary.
Police returned a Louis Vuitton bag full of jewelry to Hilton after making arrests in 2009. The suit says Hilton then ignored Allianz' requests to return the Damiani gems.
Five people still face charges in the break-in.
paris hilton, new york city, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila.
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in W. Phila. 40 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged 50 min ago
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more