Underwood makes acting debut in 'Soul Surfer'
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - April 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- Carrie Underwood says she's happy with her first acting performance on the big screen.
The country music star plays a small but pivotal role in the film "Soul Surfer," the inspirational tale of shark attack survivor Bethany Hamilton.
"I'm happy with myself for the role and for the movie," Underwood said Monday night in Las Vegas where she had just wrapped up taping "ACM Presents Girls' Night Out: Superstar Women of Country." "Am I going to win an Oscar? No. It was so much fun and the important thing is getting the story out there."
Underwood plays youth pastor Sarah Hill, a key figure in Hamilton's life and recovery after the attack. Hamilton, then 13, lost her left arm when a 14-foot tiger shark ripped it off while she was surfing with friends in Hawaii.
"Soul Surfer" is the tale of her recovery and triumphant return to the sport she loves.
Underwood says she was transfixed by the story and the message, which made it rise above other scripts and projects she's been pitched - and so far turned down.
The former "American Idol" champion was noncommittal when asked if the movie is the beginning of an acting career, though.
"You never know. I'm not saying anything either way," Underwood said. "I'm very busy with music and that's what I love, that's what I know. But you know this was special. It didn't fit into my schedule at all, but we made time for it. It was so special. So if something else really special came along, I'm not going to say never."
carrie underwood, movies, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom